A Home of Our Own
WTIP’s location has a lot to do with the quality of our service!
In our new home, we're able to:
· Increase our locally-produced programming thanks to more space for volunteers and an extra production studio.
· Provide nationally-produced programming to our listeners through a satellite on-site at WTIP.
· Expand our community outreach through improved visibility and a more welcoming space, including a conference room available to the public.
· Partner with area organizations to create the community’s first community garden on site at WTIP to provide community members with space to grow their own food.
What are the details on WTIP’s new home?
Our new home is located in a highly visible location on the west end of Grand Marais, and:
· More than triples the size of our previous space.
· Is properly insulated and ventilated to protect our broadcast and recording equipment.
· Houses two broadcast studios large enough to accommodate multiple guests (for programs like WTIP’s First Thursday Community Conversation) and musicians.
· Offers a production studio to enable increased on-air production.
· Features a volunteer work area for program preparation.
Why did WTIP need a new home?
For our first 10 years of service, WTIP operated out of rented space spread out in a local arts center. The space was small, windowless, and lacked adequate ventilation to protect our equipment. In order to accommodate more volunteers and staff, and increase our services, WTIP needed a home that could better meet our needs.
Why is WTIP conducting a capital campaign?
The total cost of the building purchase and renovations necessary to convert the building from a canoe outfitters into a functional radio station was $550,000. Thanks to generous grants and the contributions of foundations, businesses and individuals, WTIP has raised $380,000 so far. Our goal is to pay off our building so that we can dedicate all our funding to providing exceptional programming to serve the local community.
How you can help
A donation in any amount will bring WTIP closer to reaching our goal.
· Pay off the wonderful facility we now call home.
· Increase our chances of receiving additional grants.
· Focus our funds on enhanced programming and services.
To make a gift or to receive more information, please complete the following: