WTIP file photo

Grand Portage man loses home to fire, suffers minor burns

A Grand Portage man suffered non-life-threatening burns and lost his house in a fire on August 10. A call went out to respond to a house fire in Grand Portage at 3:08 p.m. The first responders on the scene found the home fully engulfed in flame.

The homeowner, Larry Spry, told law enforcement that he had turned on his stove and a burst of flame came out. He was taken to North Shore Health for treatment of burns and later released.

An adjacent neighbor reported hearing an explosion.

The Grand Portage, Hovland, and Colvill fire departments fought the fire. By 5:15 p.m. the fire was considered contained and the Colvill Fire Department was released from the scene. All fire departments were clear of the scene by 7:41 p.m.

The house is a total loss. The State Fire Marshal was contacted and the fire is under investigation.