Recycling center in Grand Marais set to reopen with limited hours
Cook County officials announced this week that the recycling center in Grand Marais will reopen Monday, April 13. The recycling center has been closed since March 26 to the public due to COVID-19 concerns.
The recycling center in Grand Marais will be open Mondays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Due to COVID-19, social distancing, and the need to keep staff and the public safe, the Cook County Recycle Center asks you to abide by the following guidelines:
1. Take time to refresh your knowledge of the “Recyclable Materials Accepted” below.
2. Pre-sort your recyclable materials prior to arriving at the Recycle Center. If you have not pre-sorted your materials, you will be asked to return once your items are sorted.
3. Ensure that all materials are clean. You will need to remove all recyclables from their bags or boxes prior to placing them in the appropriate bin.
4. Wait in your car until it is your turn: only three people will be allowed to deposit their materials at one time. Please do not congregate in the parking lot.
5. Be patient! We are all in this together, and everyone is doing the best they can.
If you are a business dropping off the cardboard, please use the back entrance.
Note: NO BUDGET SHOP DONATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED AT THIS TIME.
RECYCLABLE MATERIALS ACCEPTED
Glass: No ceramics, dishware, Pyrex or window glass (including safety glass)
Steel/Tin Cans: Ensure that cans are empty.
Aluminum Beverage Cans and Aluminum Foil: Ensure that cans are empty and foil is free of any food waste
Newspaper: Includes advertising inserts. Do not place in bin in grocery bags or tied bundles
Mixed Paper: Consists of junk mail, office paper, computer paper, etc.
• Must be clean and dry
• Must be free of sanitary waste products (No paper towels, Kleenex, etc.)
• Must be free of carbon paper, plastic, Styrofoam cups, etc.
• Must be free of brown and goldenrod-colored envelopes (Place these with cardboard)
Magazines and Catalogues: Consists of glossy publications only
Plastic Containers: Includes ONLY containers with recycling logo numbers 1 and 2
• Must have caps removed
• Must be clean and free of liquid
• Excludes foam meat trays, packing peanuts, ridged Styrofoam, etc.
Cardboard: Includes food and beverage packaging, brown grocery bags, brown and goldenrod envelopes, gift wrap and phone books. Please flatten boxes
• Excludes waxed cardboard or oil contaminated cardboard
Recycling operations will also resume at the Tofte transfer station Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Learn more about the recycling center hours of operation in this interview with Cook County Land Services Director Tim Nelson.