Grand Marais Fire Dept

Garage damaged by fire in Grand Marais Jan. 30

A page went out to the Grand Marais Fire Department at 3:55 p.m. on January 30, reporting a garage on fire at 110 8th Avenue in Grand Marais. The garage was in close proximity to the home, as well as several other residences.

The Maple Hill Fire Department was also paged and when a Cook County Sheriff’s Office deputy arrived on scene at 4 p.m., a request also went out to the Lutsen Fire Department.

Firefighters entered the garage and were knocking down the flames by 4:15 p.m. The fire was brought under control and the Lutsen Fire Department was canceled.

The Maple Hill Fire Department was released from the scene at 5:14 p.m., with some members of the Grand Marais Fire Department standing by to ensure the fire was out. By 5:33 p.m., all responders were clear from the scene.

The garage suffered some damage from the fire, but should be repairable. The suspected cause of the fire is a faulty wood stove.
Grand Marais Fire Chief Ben Silence expressed appreciation to all who came out to assist–his department, Maple Hill, Lutsen, the North Shore Ambulance, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officers, and the sheriff’s office.