Grand Marais retail businesses discuss reopening process
The latest stay-at-home order issued by Gov. Tim Walz expired this week, replaced by another policy allowing nonessential retailers in Grand Marais and throughout Cook County to reopen at 50-percent capacity.
WTIP wanted to learn what businesses are reopening this week in Grand Marais, what their plans are if indeed they are reopening and what expectations are heading into Memorial Day Weekend.
During the May 20 News at Noon program, host Joe Friedrichs discussed these topics and questions with several local business owners and representatives of businesses from downtown Grand Marais.
Joining WTIP on a Zoom conference call were:
- Mary Somnis, the director of Grand Marais/Cook County Economic Development Authority;
- Jan Sivertson, the owner of Sivertson Art Gallery;
- Beth Poliquin, the general manager of Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply;
- Jim Joynes, the owner of Joynes Department Store & Ben Franklin;
- Eric Humphrey, a co-owner at Lake Superior Trading Post;
- Gwen Danfelt, manager of Drury Lane Books.